Step by Step

It took about four days after goniotomy surgery for Ruby to get back to being her usual happy-go-lucky self. She slept most of day one, napped and fussed a lot of day two, and started cracking a few “I’m still not feeling great but can’t help myself” smiles on day three. By day four she was bouncing around in her jumperoo as if nothing had happened.

We went for our post-surgery follow-up at Sick Kids this Wednesday. We weren’t really sure what to expect, and I’m learning that will just have to be how it is. Ruby’s journey is a step-by-step process. We can’t know exactly how she’ll respond to certain medications or surgeries until we’ve tried them. We’ll make decisions as we go.

The way I see it, no bad news is good news, and that’s how it went on Wednesday. It was actually all pretty good news. Her left eye is healing well. The cornea has cleared quite a bit. The eye pressure hasn’t changed much, but that’s without the eye drops we were giving her before the surgery, so her eye is now doing that on its own. No bad news. All pretty good news.

What’s next?

We’re slowly weening her off some of her medications while we continue to monitor the pressure. After tapering off, she’ll be re-assessed during another sedation in a month. From there, we’ll know if she needs another surgery, or if we’ll move onto the next eye. As I said, it’s all TBD.

We’re trying to let go of the need to always know what’s next. As Ryan said in his post on Expectations, it’s impossible to predict what’s around the corner.  All we can control is how we respond to it in the moment.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s